CNST502 – Estimation for Small Buildings
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
Estimation for Small Buildings
To enable the student to develop the skills and knowledge to price schedules of quantities with unit rates, and apply overheads, profit and on-cost items in the preparation and collation of tenders for small buildings.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Build up a schedule of quantities for use in tender preparation for a small building project
Build up unit rates and apply overheads, profit and on-cost items for a small building project
Compile tender information in preparation of tenders for a small building project
- May include, but not limited to, an appropriate selection from the following topics:
Schedule of quantities: role in preparing a tender submission. Outline main contractor/subcontractor costs and responsibilities for use in trade, preliminary and general sections of the tender.
Unit rates and application of overheads, profit and on-cost items: build up unit rates for a range of measured items and identification of pricing components. Selection and application of labour, materials, plant. Principles, classification and application of onsite/off site overheads, profit and on-cost items - total trade costs. Market rates, cost, availability, conditions of sale/hire. Quotations - use, assessment and selection.
Compilation of tender information: Collation of priced items, trade totals, and lump sums for preliminary and general sections in accordance with tender and contract conditions.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Learning activities for topics may typically include practical/workshop, case studies, lectures, tutorials, field trips, group work, visiting specialists, computer simulations, web technologies, projects and self-directed learning.
- Assessment Criteria
- A portfolio is a compilation of evidence presented by the student in ways that demonstrate their acquired knowledge, competencies and capabilities.
Portfolio of Evidence100
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Access to PC equipment
Selected software e.g. spreadsheets
Access to online material, product and pricing data
Sample project documentation