Leading in the Workplace
To enable students to apply concepts of leadership and management, organisational culture and team engagement.
- Learning Outcomes
- 1: Apply leadership concepts and techniques to positively influence others to achieve the entity’s outcomes.
2: Utilise knowledge of the nature and dynamics of teams to optimise team engagement.
3: Develop strategies to enable a positive workplace culture.
4: Reflect on own ability to develop positive leadership and build team engagement.
- - Understanding leadership: personality traits, strengths-based leadership, task and
relationship behaviours, situational factors, leadership and decision-making styles, creating a
vision, sources of power, ethical leadership, in and out groups, leader as coach
- Influencing motivation: needs and cognitive theories, influencing tactics, delegation,
empowerment, employee engagement, managing conflict, negotiating effectively
- Understanding groups and teams: inputs and processes for group effectiveness, group vs
team, characteristics of effective teams, leader's role in building an effective team
- Understanding organisational culture: influencing factors, power of culture, indicators of
culture, strong vs weak culture, symbolic and substantive actions to shape organisational
- Managing change: influencing cultural change, alternative approaches to managing
planned change, overcoming resistance to change
- Managing team engagement: visible and empowering leaders who provide clear focus,
engaging leaders who build individual relationships, involving team members in decision
making, building integrity and fairness in all procedures
- Professional practice attributes: effective and appropriate communication skills, professional
and ethical behaviours, cultural recognition and sensitivity; teamwork, managing self and
others, time management.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching will involve blended delivery methods incorporating the Moodle online delivery platform. Other delivery methods may involve theoretical and practical classes, face to face, lectures, tutorials, workshops, group activities, guest tutors, field trips, role-play, and video conferencing, as appropriate.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment in this module is mixed mode. The portfolio is comprised of multiple assessment tasks. Students must attempt and submit all assessments and achieve an overall pass mark of 50% across the portfolio to pass the module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.