ARBO405 – Machine Assisted Felling
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
Machine Assisted Felling
The aim of this module is to develop student’s knowledge and competency in felling trees using machine assistance.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- As per Ako: Teaching and Learning Directions – Project-based learning; Flipped Classroom; Blended Learning; Work-integrated Learning; Inclusive Practices
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Demonstrate knowledge of the use of a winch or winch equipped machine to back-pull trees to assist tree felling.
2. Prepare for tree felling where machine assistance is required to back-pull trees.
3. Fell trees using machine assistance to back-pull trees.
- • Back-pulling situations
• Rules for back-pulling
• Tree felling techniques involving back-pulling; machine positioning, winch use, observer, communication, rope use, positioning of strops, scarf alignment away from pulling machine
• Hazards associated with back pulling, and methods of control
• Personnel capability
• Requirements and responsibilities of all personnel
• Verbal instruction and/or hand signals
• Machine suitability
• Machinery and rigging operational requirements
• Felling methods
• Site and Tree assessed, felling plan
• Work area and escape route
• Felling carried out; sequence of cuts, timing of cuts, rope attachment, communication, use of safe area, timing of pull.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment in this module is mixed mode. Students must gain a minimum mark of 50% in the achievement-based assessments and meet all the requirements of the competency-based assessments including carrying out all tasks in a safe manner and to industry standard to be eligible for a final grade for this module. The final grade will be based on the marks from the achievement-based assessment tasks. Where there is no achievement based assessment involved, a competency pass will be given if competencies area satisfied
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- ? Tutorial notes, exercises and readings, flexible, blended learning focus to content and material, projects for project based learning.
? Interactive Moodle platform