Residents at Hamilton’s Alandale Retirement Village are the proud new owners of bespoke letterboxes thanks to a project by Wintec’s My Career Pathway programme students.
My Career Pathway
- Semester 1 starts January 2018
- Semester 2 starts July 2018 (Otorohanga)
- Semester 2 start July 2018 (Rotokauri Campus)
- 6 Months
- Fee Guideline: * Fee free (under the Youth Guarantee scheme). Otorohanga campus also has limited provision for fee free domestic students who do not meet Youth Gurantee criteria.
My Career Pathway is a FREE* 6-month programme, that will help you gain practical skills, confidence and useful life skills at the same time. You’ll get to choose between a trades or horticulture strand to suit your interests.
During this programme you will have the opportunity to gain credits towards NCEA Level 2, the New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills Level 2, and Trades unit standards, in a trade or horticulture pathway of your choice.
Most importantly, My Career Pathway is about giving you the skills, knowledge and confidence you need to continue your training at Wintec or the workplace through apprenticeships.
Find out about the programme, and hear from our students in the videos below
My Career Pathway (Trades)
(An Introduction to Trades)
- Semester one 2017:
- Rotokauri Campus, Hamilton
- Otorohanga (Manufacturing and Technology Pathway only)
- Semester two 2017:
- Rotokauri campus, Hamilton. Tuesday-Friday 8am-4pm
- Otorohanga (Manufacturing and Technology Pathway only). Monday to Thursday 8.30am-4.30pm
If you would like to study a trades strand, you can choose from:
- Manufacturing & Technology: Automotive, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering; or
- Construction and Infrastructure: Building, Plumbing and Gas Fitting, Electrical Engineering
My Career Pathway (Horticulture)
- Semester one: Rotokauri Campus
- Semester two: Rotokauri Campus
Horticulture, is a vocational strand within My Career Pathway that will give you a taste of Horticulture, Arboriculture and Landscape Construction.
It will be hands-on, learning usable skills which will provide you with skills for employment in the horticulture industry or pathway onto higher learning.
All students enrolled full-time on My Career Pathway (Horticulture) receive free personal protective clothing.
What you will achieve
In just 6 months you'll learn core skills and capabilities such as self-confidence, trades skills and knowledge, literacy and numeracy and you'll also gain:
- New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills level 2
- As well as 60 credits in a vocational pathway
- And a further 20 credits which will count towards the NCEA level 2 qualification
Hands-on, project-based learning
With My Career Pathway learning is fun and interactive, with a focus on getting out there and ‘doing it’. You’ll get to work on real projects (have a look at some examples here) that will help you gain the skills you need in your chosen pathway.
Even learning math and literacy is hands-on because we build your lessons right into your practical work - using real situations to teach.You'll work within your class to identify a suitable community and its needs, then with support from your tutor, your class will develop, create and deliver a project that will meet the needs of that community.
Once your class has completed your project, the final outcome will then be donated to the designated community it was designed for.
Another feature that makes My Career Pathway so unique is our whānau room. The whānau room is a central hub that focuses on your health and well-being while providing you with full range of support in a safe and nurturing environment. Your Kaiāwhina (whānau coaches) will help you develop your life skills and a plan so that you can be successful in all areas of your life. This means that you will be working on fun projects and developing trades skills while learning about yourself and how you, operate in real world situations.
Your whānau room sessions are student driven so, you direct your learning- based on what your needs are. Your Kaiāwhina will assist and provide you with opportunities to explore and engage with a range of people, cultures and experiences to help you grow holistically.
Our aim is to help you feel equipped to manage yourself in your daily life, as a student of Wintec, and an active member of your community.
Download Pathway Flowcharts
Please click the images below to see a pathway diagram for Trades or Horticulture:
Not sure which strand to study?
The beauty of My Career Pathway is that within your first two weeks of study you will take part in an introduction to the programme, which will give you a chance to try out all three of the pathways through a series of ‘taster’ workshops. Then, at the end of the introduction you will have the opportunity to choose which pathway suits you best.
My Career Pathway is offered in the following three strands (with options in trades or horticulture):
- Manufacturing & Technology: Automotive, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering
- Construction and Infrastructure: Building, Plumbing and Gas-fitting, Electrical
- Horticulture: Horticulture, Arboriculture, Landscape Construction.
There is open entry to this programme although you must be a minimum of 16 years old at the commencement of your programme
Download the full programme regulations:
ProjectsHere are a few examples of projects that were undertaken by our past students.
“Growing plants in the garden makes you feel that you have achieved something." - Tutor, Beatriz Hardy.
Need help? Want to know how to get started?
Leave your details here and we will come back to you: