Working In New Zealand

Tax & IRD

The Inland Revenue Department (IRD) is employed by the New Zealand Government to collect taxes. The main situations that you will be taxed in are if you:

  • Hold a New Zealand Bank Account which earns interest.
  • Work in New Zealand.

You will need to apply for an IRD Tax Number so that you are taxed at the correct rates. The penalties for evading tax or working illegally in New Zealand are high and can affect your immigration status, so it is important you follow these laws.

You can download an application form for an IRD Tax Number from the following website:
IRD free-phone number: 0800 227 774

20 Hours Or Less

If your visa allows you to work in New Zealand, you will be able to work up to 20 hours per week during the semester and full-time during the summer vacation (December and January). Volunteer work is considered paid work for the purpose of your student visa. If you breach these conditions and work more than 20 hours per week you risk future visa applications being declined.

Minimum Wage

In New Zealand, a minimum wage rates apply to all employees aged 16 and over, who are full-time, part-time, fixed-term, casual, working from home, and paid by wages, salary, commission or piece rates (some exceptions).

Find out more information about the minimum wage rates in New Zealand

Find out More