Research and Innovation at Wintec
Wintec’s research is applied, diverse and makes a difference to benefit not only our students, but the wider community. Our staff are respected experts in their fields. Their research ensures that the programmes Wintec offers are relevant and are delivered with the future workforce in mind. Our research and innovation services are easy to access and we will work alongside you from the planning stage right though the implementation of a solution or innovation. International and national partnerships create access to a wide network of experts as well as opportunities not just for our researchers and postgraduate students but also for our industry and community partners. Discover our research:
Research and Innovation
In 2017, research across Wintec’s faculty focuses on the following themes:
Inclusive Culture, Language and Indigenous People
- Cultures, Indigenous Peoples, and Migration
- Languages and Literacies
- Māori and Pasifika
Innovation, Creativity, and Design
- Industrial and Product Design
- Experience design and customer-focused Innovation and co-creation
- Societal Innovation and co-creation
Human and Societal Health, Wellness and Performance
- Health and wellness
- Thriving and resilient communities
- Sport and Performance
Transformative technologies and the future of learning, workplaces and careers
- Technologies that transform society and work
- Future learning and learners
- Future workplace and careers
Regeneration, Revitalisation and Transformation
- Rural Environments and Communities
- Urban Environments and Communities
- Business, Society, Industries (Agriculture, Tourism, Manufacture and Export)
Research across Faculty
Research at Faculty is rich and multi-faceted, it underpins our teaching and learning provisions and integrates with external stakeholders as well, thus benefitting our students as well as the wider community.
Industry and Community – Research for you
Make our expertise in research and innovation work for you. There are a number of ways in which we can assist you:
- Our research vouchers are a great and accessible way of accessing our research expertise to work on a solution for you.
- Access some of the top talent by placing a postgraduate student in your organisation, developing and implementing a solution for you.
- Discuss your research and innovation requirements with us. A research contract with us will not only give you access to experts in the field, but the project will also benefit from our network of national and international partners and state of the art facilities.
Make use of Wintec’s Research and Postgraduate Office. We have the capability and services to match your requirements with an appropriate solution. We manage the whole process to save you time and deliver quality results.
Research and Development – Research Vouchers
No research challenge is too big or too small. Our researchers can bring their expertise to a very diverse range of projects from evaluating youth employment opportunities in remote rural communities, understanding the critical factors that affect small businesses and entrepreneurs when they trade internationally, to an application that allows dairy farmers to easily schedule rosters for their employees.
Working with us will give your organisation or business access to a large, global network of experts and cutting edge technology. Wintec makes available Research Vouchers of up to $5000 (conditions apply) to organisations and businesses to undertake small research projects. Research vouchers are ideally suited, but not limited to SMEs and not for profit organisation.
National and International Research Partnerships
Wintec researchers are part of collaborative projects nationally and internationally. Wintec also regularly invites international experts on a Research Fellowship to work on collaborative research projects with our staff and business partners.
Wintec has research connections with the following places around the world:
- Swinburne Design Factory, Melbourne, Australia
- University of Technology Sydney, Institute for Sustainable Futures, Sydney, Australia
- Leeds Metropolitan University, Leeds, UK
- Kyungpook University, Department of Chemical Engineering, South Korea
- Mid Sweden University, Sweden
- Design Swarm (IoT), London, UK
- Ministry of Public Health Thailand
- Ministry of Agriculture, Ecuador (part of a project team)
- Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology, Nanjing, China
- Chengdu University, Chengdu, China
- Technical University of Liberec, Liberec, Czech Republic
- University of Seville, Department of Industrial Management, Seville, Spain
- Inje University, Inje, South Korea
- Malmö University, Malmö, Sweden
- Innovation Skåne AB, Lund, Sweden
The 2017 Wintec Research Fellows are:
- Professor Darren Rivett, University of Newcasle, Australia
- Associate Professor Lucas Capek, Technical University of Liberec, Czech Republic
- Dr Rhodri Lloyd, Cardiff Metropolitan University, UK
- Dr Dominique Hes, Thrive Hub, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Dr Chrisna du Plesis, University of Pretoria, South Africa
We look forward to welcoming them at Wintec.
Wintec offers postgraduate and Masters level programmes in Media Arts, Science (Sport and Exercise Science), Midwifery, Nursing and Social Practice, Business Informatics and Transdisciplinary Research and Innovation. As a postgraduate student, you will learn from the best and will be well supported throughout your studies by our experienced and respected supervisors, academic staff dedicated support staff. Wintec’s postgraduate programmes are designed with the 21st century workforce in mind.
Free workshops for postgraduate students @ Wintec 2017
To support you in your postgraduate studies and research, we are offering a number of workshops throughout the year, free to all postgraduate students. Topics range from good time management, to academic writing at postgraduate level, ethics in research and editing and proofreading your written work.
To register, please contact Linda at the Research and Postgraduate Office as places are limited. For the full schedule and registration details, click the yellow button below.
Innovations that Transform Societies
Symposium and Expo held at Wintec, 4 – 5th July 2017
This national, annual ITP symposium and expo offers exhibitions of innovations, workshops and a selection of global speakers and case studies focusing on innovations that transform societies. Contributions will be from across New Zealand as well as from international developers and innovation providers.
You can participate as a speaker, an exhibitor, or by attending and building networks and collaborations. Our aim is that you walk away from the symposium with new and expanded opportunities available to develop solutions and innovations that transform societies.
For the full details and to register as a participant, speaker or exhibitor, please go to: www.wintecinnovate.nz.
Centre for Business, Information Technology and Enterprise (CBITE) - Business
Adrian is a researcher and Research Leader in CBITE. He specialises in lecturing Advanced Management Accounting and Research Methodology, supervises business research students, has multiple research projects across business, and is a reviewer for accounting and business journals.
Gengxin (Sam) Li
Former Master of Art (moving image) student who graduated from Wintec in 2011.
Recently, his black and white film Mrs Mokemoke was officially selected by the Shenzhen Youth Video festival 2016. The film won a creative award at a ceremony this November and will be broadcast on Chinese National Television. The film was also selected to the Wairoa Maori Film Festival (2015), the New Zealand International Film Festival (2015), the Corto Imola Festival in Italy (2015) and the Asinabaka Film and Media Arts Festival in Canada (2016).
The Research and Postgraduate Office (RPGO) is the hub for staff and student researchers. It works collaboratively with researchers and Research Leaders to assist with research planning, proposal writing as well as ethics applications and the administration of research funding. It provides additional opportunities such as Wintec’s bi-annual writers retreat, editing and transcribing services, additional postgraduate workshops and supervision training.
We are located in D Block at the Wintec City Campus and you can contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org
Research and Postgraduate Calendar 2017
The calendar gives you a good overview of dates for workshops, writers retreats, events at Wintec, deadlines and meetings this year. It will be updated regularly.