Sukhdeep – Student Consultant, Student Enrolment and Information Centre
I do a lot of things in my job, but basically I am responsible for new international enrolments and am the student consultant for the Centre for Languages.
This means entering enrolment applications into Arion ( our student management system), assessing their application to see if they meet the entry criteria for their chosen programme of study or providing a suitable foundation programme to pathway into what they originally applied for.
The majority of my work is based from my emails and communicating with Agents or Students. I issue International Offer of Places which students use to apply to Immigration NZ for their Student Visa.
A typical day for me starts with printing off applications that have come in via email from students or agents. I check my email and phone messages for any queries or questions and respond to them. We have a target of 48 hour turnaround for all international inquiries and applications so this is particularly important, I personally strive to do it within 24 hours.
From there I assess applications that have come in and use two different software programmes to enter their details and issue them an offer of place. Once the offer is ready I will either email it to the student or to their agent (who is our point of contact for our student). By the time the rest of my team arrives (we all work different start and finish times) I am well into my day. Because I am dealing with students from around the world email is the quickest and most efficient method of communication, while they are sleeping I am working on their admission at Wintec.
Interruptions are a daily norm and it comes with the job. Students will come in into the enrolment centre requesting information or needing advice and I'm always happy to help. I always respect our student's values, beliefs and culture which requires creating rapport with the student and ensuring they are happy with the service interaction being exchanged. My day flies by and often has variety.
On any given day, I may also be…
- Assisting with potential and returning student enquiries regarding admission and course information
- Assisting students to apply for their Student Visa and Graduate Work Visa through our online system with Immigration NZ
- Liaising with Immigration NZ
- Providing advice to our international students around suitable Medical Insurance policies
- Managing incoming Exchange Student applications to Wintec
- Monitoring international student credit and debt balances, International Refunds, Refunds for Living Expenses/Surplus fees paid
- Providing backup for other roles in our team
- Working with other teams, Schools and Centres including our International Centre and Finance
- Representing SEIC at International Student Inductions
I love the flexibility, diversity and challenges that my role entails; each day is a new journey. I work with a fantastic group of people who value my ideas and share my passion to make the enrolment process simple and stress free for all of our students.