Covid-19 update page banner

COVID-19 information and updates

Wintec is operating at Alert Level 1. At Alert Level 1 it is considered COVID-19 is contained in New Zealand but we need to be ready in case it reappears in our community. 

Below you can find our latest COVID-19 news and communications, frequently asked questions and additional resources to support you and your whānau during these unprecedented times.

We are here for you and the wider Wintec community and will continue to update you with information during this time through the Wintec website, student emails and on our Facebook pages. Additionally, you can contact us by email and phone during business hours, from Monday to Friday.

Check in to Wintec

To help keep everyone safe, all students, staff and visitors must check in using the NZ COVID Tracer App when you are on any of the Wintec campuses. Find more information and instructions here.

label

Financial help for students

Students experiencing unexpected financial hardship affecting their study can apply for the Manaaki Financial Support Grant. Find information on this plus StudyLink, scholarships and free courses here.

label

Wintec Updates

You can access all Wintec COVID-19 updates here for students and our community, including past and present communications.

label

Frequently asked questions

Do you have a question? Check out our frequently asked questions and answers here.

label

Unite against COVID-19

For government updates, resources and guidance, check out the New Zealand's dedicated COVID-19 site.

label

StudyLink

Financial support is available for eligible students. Please check with StudyLink for information on this and your student loan or allowance.

label

Looking after your health and wellbeing

You can find the full range of Wintec Support Services here and on our frequently asked questions page. We understand this may be a stressful time, and below are some additional tools and resources you may like to access.

External help

If you need help dealing with feelings of isolation or stress, please check out the Mental Health Foundation website. Here you will find a large range of information and resources to support you.

label

Wintec Health Services

Find out what Wintec Health Services are available throughout this time and how to access them. In addition to counselling services, our wellbeing support provider, Benestar, is also available at this time.

label

‘Need to Talk’

If at any time you wish to speak to someone you can free call or text 1737 to talk to a trained counsellor for free.

label

Healthline

Healthline has set up a dedicated number specifically for COVID-19 related calls. Phone 0800 358 5453 or international +64 9 358 5453.

label

Do you need help?

If you have additional questions or need help, please contact us by email or phone 0800 2 Wintec (0800 294 6832).

You can also read the Wintec Temporary Policy Amendments for information on our academic response to critical incidents.

News

Drive to get ahead in tech sector keeps Cambridge mum going

Wintec IT student Sarah Lee says retraining has kept her going despite a challenging year
Wintec student Sarah Lee says her drive to retrain in IT has given her motivation to keep going. 

For Cambridge mother Sarah Lee, retraining for a career in Information Technology (IT) has kept her going, despite a particularly challenging year.  

Lee, who juggles part-time study with a full-time job as a disabled support worker is also a round-the-clock mum.  

Not only does she have her own three children to take care of, she also has a full-time homestay student, who she calls an “adopted son”, who has been living with the family for over two years. 

Although Lee had considered tertiary study previously, it wasn’t until this year that she took the plunge and enrolled in Wintec’s New Zealand Certificate in Computing Level 3 to retrain for a career in IT.  

“I had zero experience in IT but it seemed like a smart choice.” 

Lee saw the opportunity as a pathway to provide stability for her children and greater job security for the future, as it would move her on to enrol in the New Zealand Diploma in Information Technical Support Level 5, which she is now studying. 

“This is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time but I got a bit caught up doing life things – I dropped out of school early and had children at 17. I always knew that I wanted to do something more professional.  

“My youngest is two, so I thought it was an ideal time to finally pursue my studies. All going well, I’ll be done by the time she’s at school.” 

Only weeks after she enrolled in the certificate, Covid-19 hit New Zealand and along with students across Aotearoa, Lee had to continue her studies from home.  

During this period she faced formidable obstacles that made concentrating on her studies more difficult than usual. 

“It was just crazy. In my job as a support worker, I’m often caring for people who don’t have anybody to assist them. Many of them are immuno-compromised and weren’t able to leave their residences.  

I was cooking for them and delivering them groceries, on top of doing this for my family at home. The whole lockdown felt a bit traumatising, but there was no time to freak out!” 

In addition to her extremely busy home and work-life, one of her children suffered an injury and was hospitalised during the lockdown, which caused further stress and strain to her studies.  

Instead of letting these challenges overwhelm her though, Lee was determined to succeed throughout this period and has come out on the other side. 

Throughout it all she says her tutor Jaculin (Jaci) Petherick was one of her biggest supporters. 

“Jaci was a very integral part of my study and was just amazing. There's so much support at Wintec.” 

According to Petherick, the respect is mutual, and she can’t speak highly enough of Lee. 

“I have a lot of admiration for Sarah. It was such a pleasure having her as my student. She shows such strong drive and passion for the subject, and she will no doubt achieve great success in whatever path she chooses.  

“She’s a very dedicated student and full-time working and motherhood did not stop her motivation to achieve further knowledge during the lockdown.” 

With one semester nearly down and another yet to go, Lee undoubtedly has a big journey ahead.  

Rather than put her off, in classic Lee style, it’s just made her all the more motivated to succeed. 

“I just want to complete it. I’ve got that drive. At the moment it feels like I’m making a sacrifice by taking that time away from my family and I have to make that worth it, to do it justice.”