Check in to Wintec
To help keep everyone safe, students and visitors need to use a smartphone or device to check in when you are on Wintec campuses.
We have introduced a QR code system so we can keep track of where our students and visitors have been. Please scan the QR codes when entering locations on Wintec campuses.
We are doing this because it is a government requirement for all tertiary providers to have contact tracing in place. Below are instructions on how to check in and out of Wintec for students, visitors and staff.
Download the Wintec Student Contact Tracer app using the instructions below and use your Wintec ID to log in. Look out for the QR codes at the entry to all classrooms and key buildings and scan with your phone or device. They link to our contact tracing system so we can keep track of where you have been on our campuses. By checking in, it means we can let you know if you may have been exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- Make sure you are connected to Wintec WiFi or have an internet connection on your device.
- Locate an app called Power Apps in the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android). It will have the logo like this:
- Download the app to your device, and then tap to open it.
- When the app is first starting up, it will ask you to log in. Please use your Wintec student email address, e.g. 'email@example.com', and password to log in.
- Please approve permission for Power Apps to access your camera.
- You should see an app called Wintec Student Contact Tracer App in the list.
- Tap on the app, and it will load up quickly to allow you to sign in on campus.
- When on campus, open the app and scan the QR code on the poster by the classroom you are entering (your camera will open automatically) and the campus, building and room information will be added to your entry. Rescan if the right information is not showing.
- Your name and phone number will show at the top, update your phone number if it is incorrect or missing.
- Click the 'Next' button.
- Respond to the declarations and consent for your data to be collected for the purposes of contact tracing only. Please enter these as applicable to you.
- Click the sign in button.
- You do not need to sign out, but every time you enter a new room or space at Wintec, you will need to open this app and follow steps 7-12 to check in.
How-to videos for students
Check out the videos below for a step-by-step guide on how to check in to Wintec using the app, QR codes and also how to check in if you do not have access to a device.
Look for the QR codes and scan with your phone or device. There is no need to download the app. You will automatically be connected to a database.
Wintec staff on campus must download and use the Wintec Contact Tracing app. Follow the student instructions above to locate the Wintec Contact Tracing app. There is no need to check in using the QR codes on site.
Play it Safe
We all have a part to play in keeping each other safe.
- COVID-19 is still out there. Play it safe.
- Everyone with cold or flu-like symptoms must stay away. If you have symptoms call your doctor or Healthline and get tested.
- Sneeze and cough into your elbow, regularly disinfect surfaces.
- Maintain distance – for education, distance is at least 1 metre apart.
- Keep track of where you’ve been and who you’ve seen. Check-in to Wintec locations - students and visitors check-in using the QR codes and staff use the Wintec Contact Tracing app.
- Remember your ID card, you need it during Alert Level 2 for building access.
- Wash your hands. Wash your hands. Wash your hands.
Accessing the QR codes
Look for the codes displayed at the entrances to classrooms and Wintec buildings.
- Tap on the app and it will go to Sign in on campus.
- Your camera will open.
- Scan the QR code and your entry to the area will be automatically entered.
- Your name and phone number will show (please update your phone number if it is incorrect or missing).
- This information will only be used for contact tracing purposes.
Why is this information being collected?
Your information is being collected for the purpose of assisting in the management of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Your information may be disclosed to the Ministry of Health for contact tracing a case of COVID-19.
How long will you hold my information for?
We will hold the information for the minimum timeframe required by the Government and otherwise for as long as required for the purpose.
You have the right to access and correct your personal information. For copies of your information, or to have it corrected, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +647 838 6399, or by post to Wintec, Private Bag 3036, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton 3240, New Zealand.